Have mucus cyst on finger. No pain. Developed another lump on the another finger. Filled with fluid, red, swollen and painful. Remedy?

I have a mucous cyst on the last joint of the third finger of my right hand, treated for the last 3years by my determatologist by freezing it off. After about half a dozen times it is just a small hard lump and is not painful, so it's fine. He told me if it isn't bothering me to leave it alone. But the last month I developed the same thing on the third finger of my left hand. The cyst appeared to be filled with fluid, just like the other one. I have an appointment to see my dermatologist on the 16th of July. However, this one became red, swollen and painful. I don't think the other one ever did. I am wondering if this is normal or if it might be urgent to see a doctor sooner. It seems to be getting slowly better (less pain and swelling).
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 days later
A mucous cyst over finger joint is usually associated with osteo arthritis.
As such the cyst is asymptomatic and hence no Treatment is offered. In your case it seems to be inflammed. In such cases, warm water compresses over the affected area with application of topical antibacterial cream like mupirocin and intake of oral analgesics usually help. If the inflammation does not seem to subside then you may need oral antibiotic. As these are prescription drugs, you may need a prescription from doctor nearby.
Mucoys cyst can be removed by needle puncture or surgical excision. Once the inflammation has settled, you may discuss these options with your doctor.
Hope that helped.