Have mucous cyst on last joint of finger. Filled with fluid, swollen, red and painful. Normal or should I see a doctor?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a mucous cyst on the last joint of the third finger of my right hand, treated for the last 3years by my determatologist by freezing it off. After about half a dozen times it is just a small hard lump and is not painful, so it's fine. He told me if it isn't bothering me to leave it alone. But the last month I developed the same thing on the third finger of my left hand. The cyst appeared to be filled with fluid, just like the other one. I have an appointment to see my dermatologist on the 16th of July. However, this one became red, swollen and painful. I don't think the other one ever did. I am wondering if this is normal or if it might be urgent to see a doctor sooner. It seems to be getting slowly better (less pain and swelling).
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The redness, swelling and pain are suggestive of an infection in the area. Do not touch it repeatedly with bare hands to avoid the spread of infection. Sometimes mild pain killers and hot fomentation can help in symptomatic relief. But it is best to consult a dermatologist and get the proper antibiotics prescribed.
In case the pain and swelling increase then it is best to consult your dermatologist immediately.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.