Ask a Dentist   »  

Have mouth ulcer at the tip of tongue. Cause and cure?

Hi. I have a mouth ulcer at the very tip of my tongue. I have had it for about three weeks, so I am worried. I tend to be a hypochondriac and I am under big stress levels at the moment. It grows in size and then seems to be on the verge on disappearing, but grows back. Maybe the food, the stress, and fizzy drink don't help, but looking for information online has only made me more worried.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to tell you there are many causes of oral ulcer like:-

-vitamin deficiency
-local trauma like mechanical,electrical & thermal burn, chemical injury
-gastric problem
-hormonal imbalance
-malignant neoplasms
-apthous stomatitis

Generally it heals within a week but if its recurring & doesn't heal within 3 week then it can concerning. I always recommend my patients to consider evaluation which may include biopsy when oral ulcers do not heal within 3 weeks. Discuss with your treating doctor.

Meanwhile you take vitamin supplements. Apply some anaesthetic gel / paints on to it.
Avoid hot & spicy food.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wishing you good health

Take Care
Dr.Neha Sumra