Have mood disorder, taking Macorate and Oleanz. Please advise

My wife has been sufferring from mood disorder. The first instance happedned 2 years back. Had undegone treatment with a psychiatrist. She had come normal after about 2 months medicines. Now again she is having mood disorder. 2 years back she was in a imaginary world and would laugh alone and also considers she having identified a lot of things what others are thinking.

Now she is more worried about others and that is causing tension

Now she is under treatment with a doctor and has been taking below medicines
macorate cr 300
oleanz 2.5 mg

Pls advise
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     31 year old female
•     Known case of mood disorder
•     History of: Vaginismus, living in imaginary world, laughing while alone and ability to know what others are thinking.
•     Complaints of: tension and worries about others.

With current information she appear to suffering from chronic psychiatric condition which will need regular follow up and treatment from psychiatrist.

Her current treatment appear to satisfactory to me but considering she is having some symptoms medicine doses need to increase. It better to double current dose in her case (Macorate cr 600mg and oleanz 5mg per day) after prescription from your psychiatrist.

Even after change in dose, medicine used to take 2-3 weeks to show its effect.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Have mood disorder, taking Macorate and Oleanz. Please advise 14 minutes later
Thank you Sir,
I wanted to know is this the only treatment or any other method like counselling will help.
Also what are the factors that I should take care for improving her condition
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 6 minutes later
Hello again,

Thanks for follow up,

This not the only treatment but this is the one of the available best treatment according to guidelines.

Usually counseling will help in interpersonal issues and treatment compliance but not a substitute to medical treatment in such cases.

Other factors need to monitor:
-Regular adequate sleep. Read steps of sleep hygiene from net.
-Regular medicine and follow up with psychiatrist
-Monitoring for BP, Blood sugar and lipid profile every 6 month.
-Avoid weight gain or reduce weight gradually if gained already.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.