Have momentary numbness in fingers and tongue with frozen teeth. Suggest?

May 2014

My husband experienced momentary numbness in two fingers of his right hand. This disappeared after a few minutes but was followed by numbness of the right side of his tongue, similar to what happens when you have had teeth frozen.Now , he says he feels fine.
Should I insist he see his doctor ?
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Neurologist consultation would help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your query in detail and would suggest a complete clinical examination by a neurologist for your husband.

Analyzing the symptoms in detail, a brain or nerve related problem has to be ruled out. He might be having a transient ischemic attack (TIA) which is a XXXXXXX stroke in common terms. As the symptoms first involved his finger and then the tongue, a cause in the brain must be evaluated first. Progression to a completed stroke can be prevented by taking proper guidance from your doctor.

You have not mentioned and associated conditions or illnesses that he has been suffering from in your query. You must insist that he sees his doctor and gets a MRI or CT scan brain if felt necessary.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.