Have moles on body and started spreading. Could it be melanoma?

I have a lot of moles in general, but a few months ago noticed a new one, although it was very similar to others so I didn't think anything of it. Two days ago, I noticed that it is now upraised. Today, there is a halo around it that looks like a purplish-reddish bruise. Does this sound like melanoma?
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Increased number of moles on the body is a risk factor to develop malignant melanocytic tumours.

After having a look at the lesion you have and based on the mode of its onset, I do believe there are chances of it being a malignant lesion.

I suggest you to visit a dermatologist and get a biopsy of the lesion done. The biopsy test would provide a detailed insight about the type of the lesion it is.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.