Have moles. Will it turn to melanomas after going out in the sun?

i'm after some information. should i be worried about going out in the sun at all with my moles. i'm worried about them getting sunburnt and turning into melanomas. how much sun is healthy, and is there any certain times to avoid the sun.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 27 minutes later
Definitely sun is the cause of most of skin problems including carcinoma and melanoma.
The sun rays are strong between 11 am and 3 pm, hence going out at this time should be avoided.
Actually it is ultraviolet rays which cause skin damage. To protect from these sun screen is must.
Take a sunscreen with 50 + SPF and broad spectrum coverage ( which protects you against both UVA and UVB). Apply it thrice daily (8 am , 11 am and 3 pm ).
Remember clothes are best sunscreen. So cover your body as much possible.
Dont worry that your moles will become malignant.
Though sun is a factor responsible, it is not the only factor and the ultra violet rays can be easily avoided.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Thank you.
Follow-up: Have moles. Will it turn to melanomas after going out in the sun? 1 hour later
could you give me some information on what the look out for in my moles. my dream job has me outside a lot that is why i am worried.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Look for the following in the moles.
1. Change in size, whether there is rapid increase in size of the mole.
2. Colour , whether the colour of mole is changing, or there are different shades of black in the same mole.
3. Bleeding from the mole.
4. Pain in the mole.
5. Appearance of new moles, like more than 10 in a month.
The above are signs that a mole is becoming malignant.
Hope this helps
Thank you
you've calmed my fears alot, there aren't any of those signs in any of my flesh coloured moles. i guess i'm a bit paranoid about the flesh coloured ones being basal skin carcinoma rather than normal moles. i measure them every day with a caliper for accuracy and take notice of their colour. is it normal to have some skin coloured moles which are raised on my head and non raised darker ones on my body. i only have 20 moles in all does this increase my risk of melanoma. thankyou for all your help and answers, you've been a god-send
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 57 minutes later
Thanks for the appreciation.
I am happy that you are relieved now.
Dont worry carcinomas and melanomas are not that common.
So just relax and take care.
Thank you