Have mole on the back upper part of head, painful to touch. What can be done?

I have a mole the size of a dime on the back upper part of my head and have noticed it is painful to touch in the last couple of days. It has never bothered me before! Is something going wrong or do they do that from time to time?
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
A mole anywhere on the body can be XXXXXXX especially if it changes shape, size or colour over time. So, please do keep a close watch on the mole on your head for change as such:

A- Asymmetry (irregular shape)
B- Change in the border of the mole (expanding in size or not)
C- Change in colour
D- Diameter (More than 6mm diameter is suspicious)

The presence of pain in the area is more likely to be related to an infection in the area. This is not a routine or normal finding. This will need a direct examination to find out any signs of infection and further treatment.
Avoid sun exposure as much as possible. Wear a cap to reduce the harmful effect of UV rays on the skin which can aggravate the danger of mole turning malignant. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables to ensure good supply of vitamins and minerals for skin and antioxidant effect as well. Drink plenty of water.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.