Have moderate to severe carpel tunnel. Tingling and numbness in middle finger. Any curable treatment?

Sure! I have moderate to severe carpel tunnel (nerve conduction tests done recently) Had it on and off for about 8 years - it flairs up when I do a lot of physical work like painting the walls etc. but the middle fingers on both hands are tingly or numb all the time. I have been recommended for surgery but I don/t want to have such invasive treatment if it can be avoided. Is there another way?
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Normally when severity is more and you are having problem in your day to day routine surgery is advised.

Please discuss this with your treatment provider and if your are comfortable you can try following:

>Splint at night for several weeks. If this does not help, you may need to try wearing the splint during the day.
>Avoid sleeping on your wrists. Hot and cold compresses may also be recommended.

Medications used in the treatment of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
>You can also apply then locally
> In some cases corticosteroid injections area are also tried with variable success.

As written earlier when above mentioned conservative measures does not help then surgery is advised.

Carpal tunnel release is a surgical procedure that cuts into the ligament that is pressing on the nerve. Success rate of surgery is good.

I hope this helps and helps in you taking an informed decision.