Have moderate degeneration of vertebrae at C3 to C5 levels. What is the cause and cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012
Excellent

Question
Dear Doctor, i am 70 year old man. I have moderate degeneration of vertebrae at C3 to C5 levels, as i am told by the ortho . Sometimes I get reeling sensation while in forward bending of the body or bending my head down particularly when i get up from the bed in the morning. If i take stugeron and if applied collar for an hour or two, it goes away.I do not use any pillow.Whats the reason?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later

Firstly, in this age (70yrs), it is a quite common condition. In this condition, there is degeneration of the vertebra mainly due to ageing and decreased space between two vertebra body and bone erosion caused mainly by ageing. The decreased space causes pressure on the nerve bundle that comes out from that particular space. This pressure leads to pain sensation and reeling sensation when you are bending.

When you are wearing the collar, the space between two vertebra becomes increased and it decreases the pressure on the nerve trunk and it ultimately leads to lowering the pain sensation.

During night, as you are sleeping in one place for many hours, then muscles get stiffed. This is called morning stiffness. Using collar also gives you relief from this.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Follow-up: Have moderate degeneration of vertebrae at C3 to C5 levels. What is the cause and cure? 4 hours later
Dear Doctor, Thankyou very much for the answer.I wish to know whether I can wear the collar while sleeping also? Can I sleep fully on my back? On what occassions I have to use the collar? Even when there is no reeling do i still have to wear? Do I have to take vertin also along with stugeron?Kindly advise.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 28 minutes later

Thank you for following up.

Firstly the basic thing you have to know is that nothing can bring back the fully normal condition. But wearing collar is a preventive measure which stops the disease progression.

You can wear collar during any outside activity, or, walking. But during sleep it should be avoided.

While sleeping you can use a special type of pillows made for cervical problem. It is available in all medical instrument stores or any departmental store.

You can sleep fully on your back; but use hard mattresses. It will give you very much comfort.

Make the use of collar as a habit. Use it even when there is no reeling sensation.

And lastly consult a physiotherapist for some freehand exercise particular for this type of cervical disease.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any more question.
Do close this discussion if all your queries are answered.