Have mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation. Coughing, throat pain, swollen ankles and lower leg, dizziness, chest pressure. Surgery?

I have just been diagnosed with Mitral vavle prolapse with regurgitation. I am in great shape. I eat well and have no heart risk factors. my resting heart rate is usually 58. all normal blood pressures. over the course of the last 8-10 weeks my cough is non stop that my throat hurts. my ankles lower legs and ankles are swelling. my resting heart rate in now 82. i'm tired all the time, short of breath and dizzy. the pressure i feel in my chest keeps me from falling asleep at night. I am scheduled for a TEE test. How bad do my symptoms have to get before surgery is considered? I can't continue my lifestyle (work and work outs) like this much more...
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 58 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Symptoms are very important but not the only indication to decide on surgery / Inability to do daily activity and interference with quality of life are significant indeed...
     Several factors need consideration > The cause for the deterioration – rupture of chordae means early surgery / Left ventricular function – surgery to be done before serious deterioration / Coronary Arteries – need to be tackled first / arrhythmia, failure, infection, response to treatment and so on...
     TEE is a first step in further assessment...more may be needed
The treating doctor alone can suggest based on his assessment of the situation.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Have mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation. Coughing, throat pain, swollen ankles and lower leg, dizziness, chest pressure. Surgery? 19 minutes later
This i do understand. It's congenital. no infection. the right side of my heart in not pumping normally. Further study showed my left ventricle is dilated. the underlying cause of that is my valve. a leaflet and blood is blowing back up into the chamber. does that facter in?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 22 minutes later

Right sided failure is usually secondary to left heart failure / It is from Pulmonary Hypertension - surgery is generally done before it worsens...
Regurgitation begets more regurgitation / if the volume is high, if the ejection fraction is low, if the dilatation worsens - surgery is the only choice