Have minor blood pressure. What is the cause of head nodding?

My husband, age 69, has had minor head bobbing. That's the best way I can describe it. It looks like he is saying yes. It's not constant and it's not severe, it seems to happen only when he is relaxed, like when he's reading his computer or such. He is very healthy and fit. We have been vegetarians for over 20 years and his only issue is a minor blood pressure problem. He is very high strung and hyper. We have our own business which can be stressful and he has been using acupuncture to help calm him down-not sure if it is working. He is unaware of doing it, even if I mention it to him. This is not a concern now but my fear is it might progress. Can you shed some light on this? Thank you in advance -XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

There are two causes of head nodding, Essential tremor and parkinsons disease.

Essential tremor is a neurological disorder which causes involuntary shaking or trembling of particular parts of the body, usually the head and hands. For some people, the condition worsens if they hold their bodies in certain positions (postural tremor). Other people may experience in motion of head (kinetic tremor). Generally, essential tremor gradually gets worse with advancing age.
In parkinsons disease, head nodding is associated with bradykinesia ( a characteristic slowness of movement), rigidity (difficulty moving) and tremors.

From your history it looks like your husband has essential tremors. It will be very useful if you consult your physician and get him evaluated to rule out parkinsonism. Depending on the exam findings, we may need to start him on medications.
Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.