Have mild viral infection and bright red blood in bowel movements. Any thoughts?

wow, ok. well thank you. i was at work on wednesday, and was sent home with what they thought was a mild viral infection. i had excessive bowel sounds, didn't feel right at all, and was pale. when the doc pushed on my lower abdomen, it hurt.
during this time it has hurt when i have a bowel movement, and wed and today only there was a tiny bit of bright red blood on the toilet paper. my -area- feels a bit swollen. i have really bad indigestion and my stomach feels incredibly irritated. my mood has been irritable and weak.
i take nexium, but it doesnt seem to be helping much.
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 32 minutes later

You just need extra electrolytes and water. You need complete bed rest. It takes time from 24 to 48 hours for partial recovery. Nexium partly helps but not the complete treatment. However I do not advice you to stop it.

Viral infection contributes a moderate to severe dehydration. It absorbs a lot of water from the gut making the bowel movements slower and stool texture harder. The sounds happen to be strong though in actual the undigested matter / stool does not move. It inturn leads to excess of water absorption from this waste matter. Home made electrolytes like lemon water with salt and sugar help.

you know that this hard stool will cause pressure on the blood vessels supplying the digestive tract. they engorge and break at the capillary ends to cause blood in the stool while passing.

You should avoid all dehydrating drinks like coffee, alcohol, aerated drinks for next 5 days. If you see more blood in the stool / temp over 102 F / dropping blood pressure, you should go back to the ER / clinic whichever is easy.

Hope this helps.