Have mild to moderate stenosis in lower back and cervical stenosis. Which specialist should I consult?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have severe back and neck pain radiating to my shoulder causing a orthopedic doc doesn't handle the spine which I also have mild to moderate stenosis in lower back and cervical stenosis as well. I am looking for a healhcare professional that can help me manage pain and also possibly correct these problems. I live in Dallas GA any suggestions/
I think I need a spinal doctor or an orthopedic doc that can handle both spine and shoulder...
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later

For your mild to moderate stenosis in back and cervical stenosis you need good physical therapy.For this condition you have to do stretching & strengthening exercises in which you have to stretch tight muscle & strengthen weakened ones which will alleviate stress on facet joint and disc.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc. Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals.Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.
Do start with swimming.this will good for most back pains.

Most of the time, treatment for rotator cuff injuries involves exercise therapy.
I suggest you to do shoulder exercises to improve the flexibility of your rotator cuff and shoulder muscles, and provide balanced shoulder muscle strength. Consult this with your physical therapist who will teach you about specific exercises designed to help heal your injury.

I also suggest you-

Stop doing what caused the pain and try to avoid painful movements. Limit heavy lifting or overhead activity until your shoulder pain subsides.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic surgeon.