Have mild temperature and blocked nose. Swollen eye after taking benadryl. Should I try sudafed?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
blocked nasal passage, left nostril, for over a month and shelf meds have not opened it up ,excdept wheni am lying down. i am planninbgto go to urgent dare.l veverhy one says he allergy season is bad this yer, butnormally i hve not had that problem. i have only a slight tempeture. i tired benadryl but that swelled one eye shut and other was oly half. i do not want a med that makes me drowsy. should i try sudafed?
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 34 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. You should ideally have a nasal examination or nasal endoscopy done, especially since it is one sided.

2. A non-sedating anti-histamine such as loratidine 10 mg or fexofendine 120 mg once a day should help. Sudafed and OTC nasal decongestant drops should be avoided if you have blood pressure problems.

3. The mild temperature may signify infection. Regular steam inhalation may help. Let your physician decide the exact course of medication.

4. You may share any Sinus X-rays, clinical examination notes or CT Scan images here for further treatment options..

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have mild temperature and blocked nose. Swollen eye after taking benadryl. Should I try sudafed? 15 minutes later
aare these two shelf and uynder what name? thanks.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. These are not OTC medications and you will require a prescription.

2. Claritin and Allegra are the respective brand names.

Regards.