Have mild sore throat and getting tingling sensation on tongue. What is the cause of obstructed nostril?

ENT Specialist
Question
My left nostril is stuffed up 90% of the time, I have a very mild sorethroat on the same side also the back left side of my tongue has a tingling sensation. I do have drainage down the back of my throat as well. I have been taking zyrtec for about 5 weeks and it lessons the symptoms but does not eliminate them. I have also used a saline nasal rinse 3 times a day. I also have what looks like a inflamed circumvallate papillae on the same side( left ) could the drainage be causing that inflammation and tongue irritation
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The most common cause for an obstructed nostril is a DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum) and/or a Hyperophied Inferior Turbinate. The nasal discharge is usually a Post Nasal Drip (PND).

2. Since your nasal discharge is one sided, oral infections, a foreign body, small polyps, tumors, inflammation including gum and dental (any recent root canal or dental extraction?), CSF rhinorrhea should be ruled out. Get the nasal discharge examined in a pathology lab.

3. Since you have tried taking Zyrtec for about 5 weeks with limited improvement, get a nasal endoscopy and a videolaryngoscopy done and a CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) done. You may share the images here.

4, Numbness of the left posterior third of the tongue will require testing of the Glossopharyngeal nerve (Ninth Cranial Nerve). It may also be due to inflamed circumvallate papillae secondary to a local inflammation due to a PND, allergy or acid reflux.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have mild sore throat and getting tingling sensation on tongue. What is the cause of obstructed nostril? 47 minutes later
I do have PND on the left side and the throat is sometimes sore on that side as well, the rear of my tongue is also sore on the same side. All of this comes and goes through out the day. In the morning there is nothing and as the day goes on it flares up and down. The inflamed Papllaie is always there ( No Pain). Could the PND be causing the sore throat, tongue and inflamed Papallaie ? I do have had allergies this time of year in the past but these symptoms ( tongue especially) have been different than in the past.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 46 minutes later

Thank you for your writing back.

1. A Post Nasal drip (PND) due to sinusitis will increase after change in position and time of the day depending upo the sinuses involved. For example, maxillary sinuses will fill and discharge during the day and evening leading to a trouble free morning but increasing symptoms as the day ends.

2. The Inflamed tongue and throat is due to the PND.

3. You should get the above investigations done.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have mild sore throat and getting tingling sensation on tongue. What is the cause of obstructed nostril? 51 minutes later
Thank you Dr. One last question. The PND started about 5-6 weeks ago and the zyrtec does reduce the PND ( the discharge is clear ) but it does not eliminate it. When I use the nasal saline wash that also clears me for an hour or two. Also there is no real sinus pain or preasure just the discharge down the back of my throat. When i lay down or eat and drink i have no throat or tongue discomfort. Could the PND be caused by my seasonal allergies or do you think it is sinusitus ?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 16 hours later

Thank you for your writing back.

1. To differentiate between seasonal allergic rhinitis and sinusitis is only possible after getting the results of the above mentioned investigations.

2. The short history is in favor of allergic rhinitis, however the incomplete response is in favor of mild sinusitis.

Regards.