Have mild prominence of collecting system and ureter. Meaning? History of kidney removal. Abdominal bloating, headache

Question
Hi, may I ask you to explain what it means when you are told there is a mild prominence of the right collecting system and right ureter? I lost my left kidney in 1993 due to chronic pylaphritis (sorry spelling) I do get a lot of infections. I have a lot of abdominal bloating, bad headaches and get very nauseas. My MD tells me that bloating is not a normal sign of infection, I try to explain that I cannot void and he doesn't seem too worried about it. I am!
Thank you,
Sincerely XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Prominence of the collecting system and ureter in imaging studies mean that both the structures are dilated. This happens when there exists obstruction to the out flow of the urine at the exit, most probably at the bladder.

In you obstruction may not be severe enough to produce symptoms like pain but bloating due to dilatation of the lumen in both collecting system and ureter can be present.

Long standing mild obstruction can also affect the kidneys by causing Hydronephrosis and subsequently renal failure.

I suggest you to get the condition well investigated may be with a cystosopy to rule out an obvious obstruction, if there exists an curable obstruction then do the needed soon.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.