Have mild mental retardation. Had schizophrenic attack, depression, anxiety. Taking sizodon plus, cilapam plus and clonorest

Question brother has mild mental retardation, which has been revealed when he has attained 19yrs.He is 22 now. He also had a schizophrenic attack, depression, anxiety. He frequently suffers from panic attack. Right now he is under psychiatric treatment. He is prescribed sizodon plus, cilapam plus and clonorest. Our parents are no more. I work and my brother stays alone during day. Is it risky? And Is there other treatment for my brother's problems? Or psychiatric treatment is the only way out? Would he be cured
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 24 minutes later

Sizodon contains resperidone which is an atypical antipsychotic used to treat schizophrenia (including adolescent schizophrenia)and the mixed and manic states associated with bipolar disorder. Cilapam plus is an antidepressant and Clonorest is an anxiolytic drug used for anxiety. Your brother has been prescribed the correct treatment.

Several factors are associated with a better prognosis: female gender, acute (vs. insidious) onset of symptoms, older age of first episode, predominantly positive (rather than negative) symptoms, presence of mood symptoms and good premorbid functioning. Men with schizophrenia tend to have more severe symptoms in the initial stage of the disorder, but gradually improve as they age. Hence with regular psychiatric treatment, positive atmosphere and help of family and friends will help in decreasing the severity of disease.

There are also high rates of suicide among people with schizophrenia. Hence make sure that your brother takes the medicines regularly.

Psychiatric treatment is the only treatment option for schizophrenia. Supportive therapy may also be helpful for many people with schizophrenia. Behavioral techniques, such as social skills training, can be used to improve social and work functioning.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health.