Have mild fever, headache, throat and ear infection. ECG showed slight ST-T abnormality. What's wrong?

Sir, recently I had fever for last 15 days, just mild fever and headache with throat and ear infection. My headache was not coming down. Then one of these days was feeling quite well when my vision all of a sudden blacked out and I fell down. Although it was momentary but I had a cut on my cheek. I couldn't immediately know what had actually just happened and it took me some time to take it. My father said it might be high BP and then I consulted a doctor. On 29th Sep'2012 it was recorded as 133/81 and today on 3rd Oct'2012 it stands as 120/90. The doctor also conducted ECG on me and it showed as slight ST-T abnormality (aVF). Is everything alright with me?? I am 27 years old, 5'6" and underweight with 43 Kgs. Kindly reply.
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
To answer your question is simple that in presence of high blood pressure (one reading + some doubt about EKG) and family history at age 27 should be an opportunity to get yourself evaluated when you are well (after the fever and associated illness is over which in all probability viral in nature)
At present because of associated fever one episode of blackout, it will be difficult to blame heart. Did you have previous such episodes or blackout or palpitation or skipping a beat before? I would agree with your father, that you might have intermittent high BP and transient ischemic attack of brain (TIA)

At any age, following is the list of risk factors for future development of Coronary Artery Disease. Let me enumerate and you can place yourself the risk you are carrying ('*' means you have the risk factor, '+/-' means I do not know and about others you know better):-

1. Diabetes +/-
2. Hypertension+/-/* (Possible; any previous recording? What drugs if any?)
3. Smoking+/-
4. Stress +/- (What is your personal perception about your anxiety?)
5. Obesity and Sedentary Life Style - (Underweight; How much exercise you do?)
6. High Bad Cholesterol and Lipid Component +/- (State so if you do not know)
Total Cholesterol above 190 mg%, LDL above 130 mg%, VLDL above 40 mg%,
Triglycerides above 150 mg%, Apolipoprotein B above reference value
7. Low Good Cholesterol and Lipid Component: +/-
Apolipoprotein a below reference range for the lab and
HDL below 40 mg% for man & and 50 mg% for woman
8. Family History of Coronary Heart Disease +/- (If any blood relative has it )

9. Increasing age*
10. Being a Man (as opposed to women) till the age 45-

So consider these factors and then ask specific question(s), I will be most happy to reply. Good Luck.

With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW