Have mild discomfort to slight pain in abdomen. What could be the cause?

Hi Doctor,

I have mild discomfort to slight pain in my right hand of the abdomen. This has been coming and going for a few weeks now.

Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 29 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX woolf,

I appreciate greater details about the pain in the abdomen. This helps to understand the nature and cause of the pain.

Is it in the upper or lower part of the right side?
Did it start all of a sudden? Is it continuous pain? What aggravates the pain and relieves it?
Do you have pain while urination? Is the pain related to food, increase or decrease after food?
Do you smoke or consume alcohol? What is your weight and height?

If Right sided pain in the abdomen is XXXXXXX it is due to ascending colon, liver, appendicular organs. Most pain originate from the muscles of the abdomen as well. They are less XXXXXXX than the one that originates from the XXXXXXX organs.

Hope I get more information about the pain.
Follow-up: Have mild discomfort to slight pain in abdomen. What could be the cause? 6 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for your response.

Some further details as follows:

-the pain is on the right hand side and just below the right rib cage almost towards the side
- it has been there for a coulple of weeks now and eases off but comes back
- no pain while I urinate
- havent detected any link ebtween the pain and food etc
- I dont smoke
- I dont drink very frequently (possible 1- 2 units per week)

I hope that helps

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 minutes later

The location seems to be from liver or liver side extension of the ascending colon. Fatty liver is common amongst men of your age. I suggest to get blood tests like albumin, sgot, sgpt, alkphosphatase. Lipids. Complete blood counts also help in understanding parasitic infections that stick to the colon like giardiasis, ameobiasis.

Important are dietary changes and some exercise to reduce the fat laden liver. Replace processed food with unprocessed.

Taking a trial with PRILOSEC OTC for two weeks, 30 min before breakfast every day will rule out acid peptic disease.