Have mild chest discomfort and heart burn after overindulgence in alcohol. Is it normal?

I have been suffering mild chest discomfort on & off for 6 plus weeks I overindulged 3 days ago which seemed to make things worse. Symptoms are Minor sharp chest pain middle & right chest Occasional heartburn Loss appetite Occasional stomach pain
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Digestive issues more likely... Detailed Answer: Hi, Chest pain is a concerning symptoms. Though all chest pain can be from heart unless proved otherwise with battery of test; your description of pain doesn't sound convincing to be related to a serious heart related event. On and off pain for 6 plus weeks aggravated for 3 days associated with stomach ache and low appetite sounds more likely to be related to GERD. If the antacids that you been using are ineffective, I would suggest you to try proton pump inhibitor like prilosec OTC once a day for couple of weeks. Avoid spices and beverages. Involve in daily exercises and sleep well. If the ache continue to persist, I would order EKG and if needed echocardiogram and chest X-ray followed by an upper GI endoscopy to confirm the cause of aches and treat it accordingly. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards