Ask a Urologist   »  

Have mild abdomen pain. US showed stone in ureter. Urine is clear and no pain, no blood. Suggest?

sir, I am experiencing mild pain(started as slight discomfort and gradually increased) for last three days in my right lower abdomen (between ribs & hip). on ultra sound, a stone of 3.2mm is showing in ureter. but i dont beleive completely in that ultra sound examination becos of previous experince of my friends & relatives with kidney stone. I never had stone before. urine is clear and frequency is high. no difficulty in urinating. no pain, no blood. No family history of stones. No nausea, fever & vomiting. no pain on pressing abdomen. pls help
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 17 hours later
It is not unusual for even a small stone to cause pain if it is in the ureter but most stones less than 6mm usually pass spontaneously with improved hydration. Some patients will require mild pain killers and antispasmodics but will require any endoscopic procedure only if there is high grade fever or pain or severe obstruction which can very rarely happen with small stones.
If you have doubt as to the cause of pain or ultrasound findings a CT scan can done but obviously is more expensive and has mild radiation hazard and if the pain is mild and is sure to only a 3mm calculus is not required. It might help rule out other conditions such as appendix infection.
Hope I have been able to help you.
Follow-up: Have mild abdomen pain. US showed stone in ureter. Urine is clear and no pain, no blood. Suggest? 2 hours later
sir, i want to confirm that it is stone that is causing pain and rule out other causes like appendicitis, hernia etc.. took an x-ray today, that is not showing any stone. 4 days passed, still pain is there though not severe. seems to be having indigestion these days. any other test for appendicitis & hernia? CT scan not preferred due to radiation hazard
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 50 minutes later
Hi again
It is very unlikely that an x-ray will pick IP such a small stone which in most cases anyway should not have trouble coming out nor should there be severe pain. A CT scan does have the radiation hazard which I mentioned earlier but if there is persistent doubt that might be the best way yet after a goof clinical opinion from a surgeon because the best way to diagnose an appendicitis is still a good clinical examination. As of now from the info you have given it foes not look like a significant hernia. Hope you get well soon. Regards.