Have mild Achilles swelling and tendon tenderness. Treatment for levofloxacin tendinitis?

Question
treatment for levofloxacin tendinitis-mild only achilles swelling & tendon tenderness had 4 days floxacin only 3 weeks ago
thank you
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Drug induced tendinopathy rest for atleast6 weeks

Detailed Answer:

It is unfortunate that you had quinolone induced tendinopathy. The reasons behind why these drugs cause are unknown.

However the painful part needs to rest and be immobilized for at least 6 weeks in case of mild tendinitis (no rupture of tendon). You just need to wait for recovery that means the treatment is intuitive as there is no miracle cure. You should XXXXXXX Orthopedic surgeon to suggest best splint required for immobilization.

I generally refer such cases for Ultrasound or MRI to know the extent of damage caused before acting towards treatment. You should also keep this in mind and tell doctors in future not to prescribe Quinolone based drugs like Cipro, levoflox.

I have really tried to give a professional opinion here.

Follow-up: Have mild Achilles swelling and tendon tenderness. Treatment for levofloxacin tendinitis? 7 hours later
please advise if using local steroid--pensaide--or systemic anti inflamatories
like naprosin might help or is that contra-indicated
thank you

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 35 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need of steroids

Detailed Answer:

I do not suggest the use of steroids so early, however the choice of Nsaids (Naprosyn) can be tried if there is swelling and redness as well.

If there is only pain then you can try with higher dose of Acetaminophen like 650mg per dose.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Have mild Achilles swelling and tendon tenderness. Treatment for levofloxacin tendinitis? 4 hours later
last question
are you familiar with "Pensaide" which delivers steroid thru the skin when applied localy--helps my arthitic jts a lot
would this be OK or could it hinder healing ? if you do'nt know please just say so

Thanks for all your help

R Detwiler MD

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I know only Pennsaid which is topical pain killer

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry I do not know of any topical steroid Pensaide. I know topical Diclofenac sodium which is a pain killer. It also relieves the arthritic pains.

Thank you