Have migrating hives. Started itching and nerve sensation. Developed redness on chest and back. Any cure?

Jul 2012

Hi, I have been having what I call migrating hives, It starts out as a nerve sensation then itching and then intensive itching. After one day of misery the itch migrates down with the same sensation. Usually starts on upper chest. Age 72 female as of right the itch is on left hip. Usually develop large areas of redness with intense itch radiating sensation through the back.
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 10 hours later
Hi there. How long has this itch & hives been prevalent? Have you any known allergies? I take it at your age, a complete health package with blood reports have been done recently? Relax..hives are more common place than you think. For temporary relief i recommend any antihistamine that you may get as an OTC (over the counter) preparation from your neighbourhood pharmacist. Do give fexofenadine180mg once/daily a shot for symptomatic relief sans any sedation till we try to find some underlying precipitating factor. Often, stress aggravates these something bothering you awhile now? Does anyone else in your immediate vicinity experience similar symptoms eg spouse? Do you have any pets around..cats in particular :) get back & in the interim hope these questions help unravel the source of your hives. Dont worry..relaxation is the is not a serious matter albeit pesky...hope you get better soon. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Have migrating hives. Started itching and nerve sensation. Developed redness on chest and back. Any cure? 13 hours later
Have no allergies, have a cat; but have had one for many years. This situation started about a year ago off and on. I thought one of my meds was the problem so I stopped it.This week the itch returned and the condition last 3 days and it's gone for a while. Tried Benadryl,ice packs to numb the nerve endings(which seems to relieve some).topical creams and Benadryl lotion don't seem to elevate the itch. Impossible to see a dermatologist in 3 days while I have the problem. Thank You for your valuable assistance.
You are most welcome. Empathise with your issues. Get tha cat checked. Often, viral infections that infect cats, eg toxoplasmosis, cat-scratch disease etc, manifest differently in humans & even a simple allergy induced by some ticks/fleas/cat-fur may be your problem. Try depositing the cat somewhere & cleaning your home, getting rid of all carpets et al & then wait for 72-96 hrs. If no issues, you have isolated your source. Also do deworm yourself with a single 400mg dose of albendazole preferably combined with a single stat(one time) dose of 2gm tinnidazole ...all this may require a prescription in your area from the GP.
Do help all this helps. Wish you good health & a rash free existence soon :)
dr Praveen Rodrigues MD