Have migraine and feeling nausea. Found presence of protein in urine. How to get rid of this?

I had a migraine yesterday and allowed myself to become very dehydrated. This morning I went to work, but felt very nauseous and felt as if I was going to pass out. I did not want to vomit at work as I tend to wet myself so requested permission to go home and just made it home before I vomited all the water I had been trying to drink to rehydrate. I had not eaten anything so it was really just water. I have not urinated much today just little. I justed tested my urine and it seems I have quite a lot of protein in my urine. My urine is not dark, but very little was wondering if my symptoms are as a result of dehydration? Still do not feel well and my headache is coming back
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

One may pass small quantity of urine if little water is taken...... because of the dehydration.
You said you tested your urine and it was positive for protein..... not to worry.... traces or 1+ or 2+ protein is normally present in the urine and it is of little significance if the clinical scenario is not suggestive.
So now you should get rid of your headache and nausea.

Analgesics and anti emetics prescribed by your doctor will help.
Then you should rehydrate your self. Trying rehydration with nausea may result only in further aggravation of your vomiting.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can further assist you.
Follow-up: Have migraine and feeling nausea. Found presence of protein in urine. How to get rid of this? 1 hour later
Thank you for putting my mind at rest, since drinking a bit of hydrolyte my shakiness is improving. A couple of years ago I allowed myself to get very dehydrated I fainted, and landed up in hospital on a drip. So annoyed with myself to let this happen again.
I still obviously have my migraine as I am not feeling great.

Again thank you
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 3 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

I normally prescribe my patients simple paracetamol for relief of pain in migraine. As paracetamol cause almost no gastritis, it wouldn't worsen your nausea - you may try them.

If migraine has been troubling you since a while, I think you should consider long term prophylaxis particularly if symptoms are frequent.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other concerns.

If you liked my answer and wish to write to me in future, you can ask me at WWW.WWWW.WW

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics