Have migraine and ear bleeding, painful. Family history of migraine which got cured after menopause

My wife has got migraine problem from few years (her mother also has the same which cures after menopause by itself) and today her left ear bleeds for the first time after immense pain
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 26 minutes later

I think you should take her to doctor. Ear bleed in migraine is not known and it might be a co incidence.

There are chances that this time headache could be due to some condition of ear like infection, ear drug perforation etc.

Please do not ignore this and consult your family doctor/ENT surgeon and get her diagnosed properly.

Please ask her to take routine medication for relief from pain. Do not put anything inside ear, just wipe out blood and put a clean cotton plug.

Please consult a doctor today if the bleeding is continuous.

I hope this helps and clarify your concern.

Please write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.

Follow-up: Have migraine and ear bleeding, painful. Family history of migraine which got cured after menopause 12 minutes later
Thanks a lot doctor for such quick response although I've got an appointment with a neurologist tomorrow still I was just queries and worried and that's why came to this website.

Bleeding was just single time during the period of pain and after that she got relaxed and looking normal, sitting relax and watching TV

So I just looking for a bit more help if you can let me know what could cause bleeding ear, how come blood comes out of the ear in any case?

I've read on a migraine post (on some website) that severe migraine could cause bleeding ear, isn't that true?

Thanks for your time
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 5 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

As mentioned earlier ear bleeding with migraine is not common and in most of the cases it is a co incidence.

The cause of ear bleeding could be,

Infection in ear like boil etc.
Ear drug perforation
Trauma to ear
Scratching done by patient

If there is no bleeding at present and she is comfortable ,you can afford to wait till you see doctor tomorrow.