Have migraine. Taken imitrex. BP 170/100. What should I do?

Hi, there:
I have a serious migraine. i have previously taken imitrex which will cause it to come under control. Now, I'm told since my BP is around 170/100, I shouldn't. What should I do?

Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Do not worry. Yes Imitrex should not be used if a person has high blood pressure. But there are several other medications used in the treatment of migraine. Analgesics and anti nausea medication may be used as prescribed by your doctor during a acute attack. You may also use certain preventive drugs like beta blockers (which may also help in the control of your blood pressure) or certain anti seizure drugs like valproate etc to prevent further attacks and reduce their frequency.

Also make life style changes to reduce stress.

Do yoga or breathing exercises.

Go for walk.

Play with kids. All such activities which reduce stress will prevent further attacks and reduce their frequency.

Continue to ask further queries as required.

Hope this helps.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty