Have metallic-salty taste. Nothing taste good. What to do?

I have had an a metallic-salty ? taste in my mouth for almost 6 weeks. Nothing taste good to eat. I feel fine other than that. Have asked 3 doctors and no one knows anything?
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. David Okia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cause needs to be identified and then treated.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

Based on my experience most of my patients with metallic salty taste in mouth are usually suffering from side effects of medication like metformin, indapamide or heart disease and liver congestion. Lead and mercury poisoning or nutritional deficiencies like zinc deficiency or infection of salivary glands or liver congestion and some times when they are dehydrated, can also cause metallic taste. I usually take detailed history from patient and do laboratory investigation like biochemical analysis of blood, complete blood count and treat the cause. Once the cause is known and management started my patients do well. For example I have stopped metformin in some patients and given alternative anti diabetic drugs. I have given zinc supplements to patients and treated the deficiency. Majority of patients have had no metallic taste after the management. So, see your doctor and have the above investigation done.

Hope I answered your question. I will be happy to help you, if you have other queries.