Have metacarpal fracture with a cast. Once the cast is off, how long till I can begin gym and basketball?

Question
I have a 4th metacarpal fracture with a cast over it and will be removed in 2 weeks. Once I get the cast of how long till I can begin gym and basketball?
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Normally the healing of any bone is 3-6weeks.In first couple of weeks the bones start healing and in next 3-4 weeks it gets its strength back and bond becomes solid.

As the hand is put in cast for 3-4 weeks, the muscles and near by joint of hand becomes stiff. You may have some minor swelling and discomfort at the fracture site for couple of weeks more.

After removal of cast you may need some physiotherapy or set of exercise as advised by your doctor to mobilize the stiff joint.

After about 2 weeks with all this, you can resume your routine activities and can play sport of your choice.

Just take care to avoid too much pressure or major jolt at the site of fracture for some time.

Putting every thing together in general in any fracture it commonly takes about total 8 weeks to routine to normal life.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to write again if you have some more queries, in case you do not have more queries please accept the answer.

Wishing you good health and speedy recovery.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Have metacarpal fracture with a cast. Once the cast is off, how long till I can begin gym and basketball? 5 hours later
How much would too much pressure be, would shooting a basketball be too much pressure?

Good to hear from you again.

Any activity which puts strain on the fractured site for long time needs to be avoided in initial days.

For example, when you start playing basket ball again, avoid playing for long time, start slowly and then you can build up time and intensity of play and then back to normal.

I hope this clarifies.

Dr.Pragnesh