Have medial meniscal tear of posterior horn, advised physiotherapy, have snapping of medial hamstring. Want to avoid partial menisectomy. Can I still get early arthritis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

hello Doctor ,
i am 36 years old male with weight of 62 kilograms . i was diagnosed medial meniscal tear of posterior horn on mri report 4 years ago .
i was advised physiotherapy with quadriceps muscle strengthening .
i did little bit of those exercise and it did not help . the pain went on increasing . Since one year i am having snapping of medial hamstring .Sometimes i also have pain in the posterio-lateral side of the knee , which goes on to the hip joint .

i want to avoid partial menisectomy .
my questions are :
1 . if i avoid partial menisectomy , can i still get early arthritis .or should i go for the partial menisectomy .

2. what will the treatment for snapping tendon .i have already tried stretches for hamstring .
3. what is this pain in lateral side of my knee . is it ITBS or it is torn lateral meniscus . Although clinically it is not felt .

4. what is the latest treatment available for torn meniscus , like regrowing meniscus using scaffolds .
thanks and regards.
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Yadav 18 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I have gone through your history. The answers to your queries are as follows -

1. Yes, without repair of menisci injury, there are chances that you can get the arthritis early. You should be able to do much better by treating this injury. Partial menisectomy will benefit you.

2. Snapping tendon is harmless if there is no pain, redness, inflammation associated with it. If I were to be your treating doctor, I would suggest you to leave it alone and not to touch it. Treatment is entailed only if the associated symptoms occur.

3. Posterio-lateral side pain can be associated with multiple conditions including Ilio-tibial band syndrome. I am unable to name a close possibility without a clinical examination. If there is no tightness in the lateral side of the thigh felt on movements of hip, it is unlikely to be related to iliotibial band.

I encourage you to consult your orthopedician for a careful physical examination.

4. At this circumstance when menisci injury is four years old, I am afraid, partial menisectomy is the only surgical treatment. You can continue with supports and physiotherapy suggested by your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other query. If you wish to consult me in person, you can take an appointment on 0000