Have mctd. Taking coumadin for blood clot in leg. Have breathing problem. Medical cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
I have been diagnosed with MIXED CONNECTIVE TISSUE DISEASE (MCTD). I am also taking coumadin for Blood Clots, one in my leg and one in my lung ( which they said moved to the middle of my chest.) I am a professional Semi-Truck driver and I have real bad days, this job is very hard on me. I don't seem to have the strength I used to have and I have a very hard time breathing (running out of breath just by walking a short distance.) I am searching for a Good Dr. and good advice. I need my job, but don't feel that I can do it much longer. Every medicine I have taken doesn't last for long. I need help! I prefer a woman Dr.
I also had a Blood Clot in my other leg 20 years ago. Otherwise, I have always been in good health. I also found out recently that my mother died from lupus.
Thank You, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

You continue the medication as advised by your doctor.

I advise you to XXXXXXX a cardiologist as you are having respiratory difficulty just by walking a short distance (exertional dyspnea).

Exertional dyspnea is indicative of heart dysfunction.

At the same time pulmonary embolism due to lodging of blood clots in lung blood vessels coming from the blood clots in the legs to be ruled out by proper investigation as this is also a possibility of respiratory difficulty.

So I advise you to consult a cardiologist for the evaluation of your heart function and to rule out any pulmonary embolism.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have mctd. Taking coumadin for blood clot in leg. Have breathing problem. Medical cure? 35 hours later
what is expertioal dyspnea?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 10 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back,

Running out of breath just by walking a short distance is exertional dysnpnea.

As you have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (MTCD) , lung involvement by this disease process occur and this will lead to exertional dyspnea.

The possibilities of your exertional dyspnea are:

1.Lung fibrosis due to disease process- this is the first possibility.

2.Pulmonary embolism due to blood clots lodging in lung vessels coming from blood
clot in leg.

3.Least possibility is heart dysfunction.

So I advise you to first XXXXXXX a Rheumatologist for complete evaluation of the disease process and treatment.

Oral steroid is used to treat the disease and it will delay the progression of disease process and improve the symptoms.

General precautions to be taken in this disease:

1.Avoid cold exposure of hands and feet.

2.Don't sit for prolonged periods- so I advise you to adjust your job to avoid
prolonged sitting while driving and try to walk frequently.

3.Moderate activity and mobility is recommended.

So first consult a Rheumatologist to investigate you for the involvement of the lung and its treatment, if required cardiologist referral later.

Regards.