Have major depressive illness of postpartum. On Cipralex. Suffered headache. Side effects?

Hi I sent you a question more than one month ago you told me that i most likely have Major depressive illness of postpartum onset , i consulted a doctor and i was on cipralex 10 mg for one month and now im on cipralex 20 mg since last saturday and will take it for 3 months ,then the dose will be decreased .
when i started the 10 mg dose i suffered from headache but it wasnt that bad
but since last saturday when i started the 20 mg/day i started to have bad headache and its getting really bad since yesterday ,is that normal side effect?what do you think?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is a common side effect.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing to me again,

I am very glad that you took my advice and visited a psychiatrist and have received the right treatment. The drug you have been prescribed is right for your condition. Yes, like all drugs, it too has side effects. Headache is one of the common side effects that are seen in about 10-20% cases. Out of these around half the patients experience it only in the first month. Time taken to subside may vary from individual to individual. The tolerability also varies between patients. Some patients find relief by dividing the dose into two in a day by breaking the tablet into half and taking it once in the morning and once at night. But again, taking the night dose may cause disturbed sleep in some patients. If this is not the case with you, you may try doing so. If the headache is intolerable then you may have to visit your psychiatrist to reduce the dose to 15mg first for a week and then increase it to 20 rather than doing so suddenly.

Another possible cause we have to rule out is the underlying depression itself, since you are still recovering from the acute phase. To enhance the effect of the treatment, I would advise you to make a daily routine for yourself with regular exercise, aerobics or yoga strictly. Ways of relaxing by meditation are also beneficial. Eat a well-balanced meal and maintain a regular sleep cycle.

I hope this helps,
Wishing you a fast recovery,

Dr. A Rao Kavoor