Have magnesium deficiency. Had surgery for blocked intestine. How to treat magnesium defect?

I have madnesium deficancy, it is at .62 today. I had a blockage in my intestine and had surgery. Th e surgeon took out about 10 inches of intenstine. Since then I have had back pain, don't really feel good. I take magnesium tablets 2000 mg. per day. Not helping. I don't know where to turn to get help. Hope you can help me. I had colo rectal cancer 10 years ago this month. I had chemo and radition. I have constant back spasms and something that feels like a gas pain right by my heart, on the left. I did not have high blood pressure but in the last 2 weeks have found out I do. This is not a cancer issue, I want to know how you can treat this magnesium defect.
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later

Thanks for the query

I would like to know more about your current pain issue

1. Where exactly in the back is the pain? Is the pain present through out the day? What makes the pain little lesser and what worsens it?
2. Is it so debilitating that you are not able to walk?
3. Please let me know the medications you are currently on
4. Have you tested for calcium deficiency as well?

Please get back to me with the answers, I am awaiting your reply
I wish you good health
Follow-up: Have magnesium deficiency. Had surgery for blocked intestine. How to treat magnesium defect? 9 hours later
The pain rides up my back, mostly all day. I also get a pain in my right side, up high, which I used to get because of gas, now the pain feels different. Can't describe it fully, it is just a tiny round dot, thats what it feels like. When I go for a walk, my pain is really bad when I get home. I can walk with no problem, but when I get home I have to put on my heating pad or take pain killers. I also have a hard time sleeping, takes forever to get to sleep and I wake up constantly. I take Zooloft, premarin, high blood pressure pills and I take 2000 mg. of PMS-Maglucate twice a day. I did not have high blood pressure until they found out I had a magnesium deficancy.
I have not been tested for calcuim.
Thank you for your reply to me so promptly. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back in detail it has helped me a lot. I would like to add here that magnesium deficiency causes calcium deficiency as well and calcium deficiency can cause weak and aching bones. Please get yourself tested for the same.
One other good possibility is due to spondylosis or disc prolapse. Here you get a dull aching pain which increases with work. MRI spine would be the investigation of choice in this condition.

I ideal thing to do would be to approach a good orthopedician for the problem. Pain killers like sustained release aceclofenac will help in such situations, please ask your doctor for prescription.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further ones please accept my answer