Have lyphoma lymps on hand, leg, abdomen and back. Is there a medicine to cure it? How can I reduce it?

Question
Hi Doctor, I have lyphoma lymps on hand, leg, abdomen and on back.. is there a medicine to reduce it?
Sometimes when I am eating too much.. feeling little problematic because of lyphoma lymp in the abdomen.. 4 years back before marriage I confirmed it with doctor that this is lyphoma and nothing else to worry.. advice me if I need to do something to reduce it..
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

I understand you mean lipoma which are fatty tumors in your query. One of the reasons for having multiple lipomas on the body is multiple lipomatosis which is a hereditary syndrome and causes multiple lipomas all over the body.
Treatment of lipomas can include simple excision, endoscopic removal, or liposuction and it depends on the size, number and location of lipomas. There is no medicine to remove it.

Simple excision is usually done for superficial lipomas and is done under anesthesia by giving and excision and removing the contents of the lipoma. Then these contents are sent for histopathological examination.

Liposuction has more recurrence rate but in surgical incisional removal, since it is removed completely, including the capsule, the recurrence rate is less.

You should consult a surgeon and discuss about the surgical removal of these lipomas.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Have lyphoma lymps on hand, leg, abdomen and back. Is there a medicine to cure it? How can I reduce it? 12 hours later
I heard that excision may cause reoccurrence of lipoma elsewhere on the body and number can grow if we do multiple excisions. Is this true?
I have also heard that with age lipoma size will decrease and also can disappear. Is it true as well?

Has smoking/drinking habit anything to do with lipoma occurrence/growth?

Is there anything I can do to get rid of lipomas without doing excision?

Thanks, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Recurrence, or persistence. of a lipoma can be the result of incomplete removal. This would be more common if the removal was done with liposuction rather than open removal. To prevent it, complete surgical excision with the capsule is advocated to prevent local recurrence.

Multiple excisions may cause recurrence but will not cause increased number of lipomas. However, it is also possible that an additional lipoma develops close the original resection.

Lipomas usually occur between the ages of 40 and 60 in both sexes, although they can arise at any age. They do not decrease with advancing age and will not go away once they have formed.

The cause of lipomas is not completely understood, but the tendency to develop them is inherited. Smoking and drinking alcohol does not trigger lipoma growth.

Lipomas do not generally require treatment. Only if it is cosmetically unpleasant or having symptoms like pain, discharge etc, it needs to be removed surgically. There is no other method other than liposuction or surgical removal to treat lipomas.

Hope this answers your query.