Have lymph node under jaw, growing quickly and difficulty in opening mouth due to pain. Suggest?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hello. I have a lymph node under my left jaw that is growing quickly. I have just noticed that I have difficulty opening my mouth due to pain in that area. I have no visible signs of a tooth abscess; my gums look healthy.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 12 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
swollen lymph node is not only sign of tooth infection,it can develop due to any other infection such as respiratory, throat,ear or some systemic infections.
Rarely it can be some subcutaneous lesion such as lipoma, abscess or fibroma and if there is tender,painful,fixed bump,it may indicate more serious diagnoses. Bit I suggest to wait 7-10 days to see will some signs of infection ocur and will it decrease in size. If not,needle biopsy and ultrasound should be done. Wish you good health.regards