Have lymph node extrapulmonary tuberculosis, fever. Taking medicine. How long it takes for cure?

Feb 2013

How long fever persists for lymph node extrapulmonary tuberculosis. My wife (30/F) is suffering from fever wef 21 Feb 2013 and pain in right armpit (axilla). M Tuberculosis detected in PCR report and thereafter medicines (Monto 4- having 4 medicines comination- Rifampicin, Ethambutol, Isonaizid & Pyrhazinamide) started wef 1st April 2013. Pus drained and lymph node removed through surgery. Fever still pesists. Are we on right path.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 27 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Tuberculous infection is a chronic one which usually presents with pulmonary and extra pulmonary involvement.

Usually it presents with a prolonged history of fever like this and with lymph node swellings.

TB treatment lasts for months together and the response is seen after after 2 to 3 weeks.

As the prolonged fever history, lymph node involvement are classical presentations of tuberculosis and TB PCR is positive for Mycobacterium tuberculosis the treatment is appropriate and you are on the right path.

Fever will take some time to subside as the treatment for TB infection is it self prolonged for months together.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.