Have lympacitis colitis, IBS and diverticulitis. Stomach looks like pregnant, bowel inflamed. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Question
I have lympacitis colitis ,ibs and diverticulitis my stomache looks nine months pregnant its not through eating to much ,I can feel my bowels inflamed all the time ,my specialist has suggested I have a sleeve pop done what I want to know will my stomache go away ,as my bowels are alwAys inflamed thankyou XXXXXXX .....Which way do I go
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Bowels obstruction needs to be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

First of all some clarification. You do not have IBS. This condition can be diagnosed only if all other possible reasons of your symptoms are ruled out. And you were diagnosed with Lymphocytic colitis and Diverticulitis. So this diseases are causeing your symptoms. IBS is ruled out.
Now, as your stomach is enlarged, partial bowels obstruction needs to be ruled out. Usually abdomen gets enlarged due to intestines distention caused by gas and stool accumulation inside. This gives occasional abdominal cramps, diarrhea and/or constipation, gas blockage. Intestines left in such condition will sooner or later get perforated.
I suggest you to:
- have abdominal X-ray as soon as possible
- in case of confirmed bowels obstruction surgery needs to be done
- in case of doubts, abdominal CT with oral contrast (enteroclysis) should be done

Lymphocytic colitis should be controlled with medicines (antidiarrheal, antiinflammatory). Diverticulitis if keeps giving pain should be treated with removal of changed intestine.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have lympacitis colitis, IBS and diverticulitis. Stomach looks like pregnant, bowel inflamed. Suggest? 7 hours later
I have had these in the past , ct scan with not much luck , what about the sleeve operation wil this help my condition Thankyou XXXXXXX .

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sleeve gastrectomy can be done to treat obesity.

Detailed Answer:
Sleeve gastrectomy can be done in case of obesity. But you have mentioned that you do not eat too much. Patients after this surgery have smaller stomach so they can eat much less.
If obesity is your main problem, this surgery can be beneficial for you. Otherwise its pointless.

Once again, diverticulitis if keeps recurring should be treated with surgical removal of affected intestine. Otherwise, perforation can appear.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have lympacitis colitis, IBS and diverticulitis. Stomach looks like pregnant, bowel inflamed. Suggest? 21 hours later
I have diviticulitis went to the dr today , on antiobotics normally put in hospital but looks like we may have caught it early , the thing that is different is sweating thought it was high temp but it's low 34.5 to 35.7 , what does this mean ..

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

It all depends where do you measure it. It can be lower outside (on the skin surface) especially when you are sweating. Also low blood pressure, dehydration or slower metabolism can lower your temperature. Please try to measure it on the eardrum surface. The most important is brain temperature (and ear interior is the closer to the brain we can get from the outside).
You should also drink plenty of liquids. Warm tea is good. You may stay also in bed for few days to heal the inflammation.

Please remember that you should consult general surgeon when you will get better and consider surgery.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have lympacitis colitis, IBS and diverticulitis. Stomach looks like pregnant, bowel inflamed. Suggest? 6 hours later
Thank you. , temP was taken in the ear drum a few times , will drink a few warm tea's to see if that helps ...

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome. Please do not worry about your slightly lower body temp, it does not seem to be something serious.

Regards.