Have lyme disease. Pregnant. Diagnosed high levels of mold in blood. Risk of pregnancy?

My daughter "took a turn for the worse XXXXXXX with her lyme disease earlier this year and became very ill. We now know that instead of her lyme it was morning sickness and she didn't realize she was pregnant until 17 weeks. She's never had a regular period since she's had lyme so she's never connected the dots, so to speak. Now she's half way through her pregnancy and has had a 3-d ultrasound/high level bloodwork, all which is showing the baby is healthy at this point. But the doctors are pretty much refusing to acknowledge the lyme piece of the equation which has me very worried. I look at her and I know she has a hard time clearing toxins from her blood. She's sharing that blood with that baby but if you say that to the OB-GYN they look at you like you have two heads. They honestly have no clue what's going on with the disease that's running wild within her body and I'm frightened for that baby.

Her doctor has told her she has high levels of mold in her blood; she also has high levels of metals; specifically copper. Until we can clear those up, they inhibit the clearing of the spirochechetes . So she shares toxic-laden blood with this unborn baby; we know it but when we try to talk lyme with the OB, they shut us down. Unfortunately, you need an OB to have a baby and this is a high risk pregnancy. Our worry is what will this delivery look like...what will this baby look like as far as sickness and what are we looking at for statistics for survival rates, etc, Downs Syndrome, Still birth. This pregnancy was a real surprise to us all and it has all of us very scared because of the mother's poor blood condition and lyme. Thanks so much for your time. XXXXXXX (a very concerned mom)
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I can understand the issues faced by your daughter.
You need not to worry for the developing fetus but your daughter should take routine drug supplements for pregnancy and treatment for Lyme disease also.

1. Lyme disease during pregnancy produce no negative effects or no life-threatening effects on the fetus.
2. No Patients/mother reported any problem when they received an appropriate antibiotic treatment for lyme disease during pregnancy
3. But it may lead to infection of the placenta and possible stillbirth

Management for pregnant women is similar to that of nonpregnant adults and she can take oral antibiotics complete course after discussing with your doctor. There are certain drugs she should avoid during pregnancy. So discuss with your doctor before taking any drugs.

Follow your Gynaecologist advice for the further management. I wish you and your daughter good health.

Hope I answered all your question. Kindly close the query if you are satisfied with the information on the query. Take care.

Kind Regards
Dr. Lohit
Follow-up: Have lyme disease. Pregnant. Diagnosed high levels of mold in blood. Risk of pregnancy? 23 hours later
Her lyme is chronic; are you saying she should take her regular antibiotic treatment during her pregnancy? If not, what should she be doing?
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later
Hi. Thanks for the follow up query.

Antibiotic should be taken to treat lyme disease. If she had taken the complete course of antibiotic and no active infection now then no need to take it, but if she has active disease then she should take complete course of antibiotic. Consult your gynaecologist for choosing the right antibiotic for her as some drugs like doxycillin are contraindicated.

Hope i answered your query and you got your doubt clarified. Please close the query and rate my answer if you got complete answer. Wish you good health.

Dr. Lohit