Ask a Homeopath   »  

Have lupus, IBS, fibromyalgia and slight depression. Take hydrxychoroquine. Tried valerian root. Suggestions?

Good eve Doc. I have lupus sle, IBS, fibromyalgia, slight depression because of PTSD. My question is can you suggest herbs or minerals to help me sleep? I take hydrxychoroquine for lupus.. It helps keeping migrating arthritis down. I take pain med. hydro ozone and baclofen for muscle pain and tightness. Am tired of prescription meds. I have tried valerian root. Melotonin and sleepy time tea.. None work. Any suggestions. Next step is going to psychiatrist. All help is appreciated
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Homeopathy
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 7 hours later

Sorry for the delay answering you. I am sure you should be eagerly waiting for the answer to get some sound sleep.

The most common herb that helps to get sleep is Valerian root. This is tested and equally effective.

You may try NP, Ultimate Extract(R) VALERIAN ROOT 125 mg With Passion Flower. The passion flower can aid with sleeplessness.

Now about the important minerals that help inducing sleep are Calcium, L-glutamine, and GABA (neurotransmitter helps with general relaxation)

L-Glutamine is an amino acid, and very plentiful in the body. It improves mood as well as helping to increase GABA level. Theanine is found in tea and helps too.

You might have tried to take warm milk which is XXXXXXX in calcium before you get to night sleep. This induces sleep and time tested because the milk requires a lot of blood to get digested. This drives the blood away from brain and helps sleep.

The following are the products available:

Stress-Relax(R) Pharma GABA(R) 100 mg , three times a day, one tab each.
Stress-Relax(R) Tranquil Sleep EASY-TO-SWALLOW SOFTGELS 5-HTP, Suntheanine(R) & Melatonin , Two softgels half an hour before bed time.

Although these supplements are available over the counter I still suggest you to take your treating doctors opinion before you use them because some of these may interact with the current medications that you may be using.

If you have already tried them and failed, you can still consult a Naturopath for correct dose and treatment before you move on to Psychiatrist.

I still feel it is worth a try. Let me know if you have further concerns.