Have lung cancer. Done with X-rays and lung biopsy. Coughing blood is very worrisome. Advise?

Oncologist, Surgical
Yes, thank you. I just learned that my niece who is 45 may have lung cancer. She has had lab, X-rays, lung biopsy, etc. The biopsy results will not be in until next week but the physician is releasing her to go back to work the 21st. His speciality is pulmonologist, thoracic diseases, XXXXXXX med. I am a former RN ( yrs. ago) who had ICU and ER experience. But, now I really need help on how to proceed. Personally, I'm not thrilled with this physician, Dr Wamba Wamba, who only has a 3.5 out of 5 rating. His reviews are not impressive and I'm thinking that if the Dx. does come back as cancer, we need a more competent physician. The idea that he is releasing her despite the fact that she is coughing blood is very worrisome. I would appreciate any advise.

Thank you,
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to wait for biopsy report.

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX for your query. I can understand your concerns. If the patient is otherwise hemodynamically stable and is comfortable without oxygen support, there is no need for her to be hospitalised. The treating physician is the best judge. She can do well at home with cough medication and some hemostatic agents. Further work up will be after the biopsy report is available. She will need a PET scan to stage the disease and if the tumor is operable, her fitness to undergo a lung resection will have to be determined. Once the biopsy is available , you can discuss it with your doctor and ask for a referral to a centre where a multidisciplinary team experienced in treating lung cancer patients is available.
Best wishes
Follow-up: Have lung cancer. Done with X-rays and lung biopsy. Coughing blood is very worrisome. Advise? 23 hours later
Thank you very much for your advice. I've almost forgotten everything I knew as a nurse, except just enough to be XXXXXXX :-)
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 4 days later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
I will be available to guide you further if needed once the biopsy report is available.

I wish your niece good health!!