Have lumps on arm cephalic vein. Getting sharp pain in arm, elbow and wrist. Worrisome

Urologist
Question
I have three lumps on my left arm cephalic vein over my left bicep a few centimetres apart from each other, they become prominent when strain is put on the arm and go away when the arm relaxes. They do not appear on my right arm. Being thin, many of my veins are prominent.
I am not sure how long I have had them, however I have had noticeable short sharp pains at irregular and infrequent intervals over the last 24 hours in my lower arm from the elbow down to my wrist.
It is worrying me and am currently on holiday so not able to see my gp
I have also noticed an occasional twinge/pain on the underside of the arm (other side from the bicep) just above the elbow, it had also been infrequent and irregular.
Posted Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
I had a good look at the image.
To me, they look like VENOUS VALVES, which are normal.
They appear prominent due to lack of fat and more venous return during muscle work.

The pain looks unrelated to me. For the pain, please try
1. Over the counter pain killers like IBUPROFEN.
2. Limb elevation with 2 pillows below the arm at bed time.
There should be good pain relief with these methods, no doubt and please do not worry about the valves, unless it becomes red and tender to touch.
Wishing you good heath---

DR GS

Follow-up: Have lumps on arm cephalic vein. Getting sharp pain in arm, elbow and wrist. Worrisome 9 minutes later
I do not have any of these lumps on my other arm vein however, which is also as prominent and does not have these lumps/valves when flexed or put under pressure. I am sorry I should have mentioned this in my initial question as this fact was the main reason for my concern.
Kind regards

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Welcome back.
I understand your anxiety.
I will be surprised if it is anything else, but ready to learn.
There is always some difference between the hands due to handedness - right or left handed.
I will happy to hear form you once you see your GP after your holidays.
I sincerely advice you not to worry and enjoy your holidays.

DR GS

Follow-up: Have lumps on arm cephalic vein. Getting sharp pain in arm, elbow and wrist. Worrisome 13 minutes later
Thank you for your reassurance, I am trying very hard to not think about it.
The pain is now in the upper arm and radiating around the bicep and tricep, sometimes down the vein with the promenant valves, but I appreciate there is nothing else that can be done without a physical examination and your reassurance has allowed me to have at least a reasonable attempt at a good day (typical hypochondriac hey)

Thank you for your help and I wish you a good day

Kind regards

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Forget it for the time being and Enjoy your holidays.
DR GS