Have lumps in arms, legs and stomach. Diagnosed with arthritis, broken back and have bad joint pain. Could it be sacroid arthritis??

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have lumps in my arms first but now they are in my legs and stomach. They are just fatty little lumps below the skin. I have been diagnosed with arthritis and I have bad joint pain. I have also just recently been diagnosed with a broken back. I have ulcers and sometimes I get an anemic and have to take large amounts od iron. I have recentl been having nose bleeds. I was wondering if I could possibly have sacroid arthritis?
I also have shortness of breath when iron levels get low.

Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be Sarcoid arthritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Sarcoid arthritic involvement is very rare (occurs in <0.2% of sarcoid patients) and occurs usually together with other complications of sarcoidosis, particularly chronic cutaneous sarcoidosis and in Black patients.

Medium-sized and large joints are often affected SYMMETRICALLY and a simulataneous tenosynovitis (swellings) may occur. Synovial biopsy confirms the diagnosis and shows Noncaseating granulomas.

Dyspnoea (shortness of breath) is a common symptom of Anemia (low hemoglobin) and will be reversed once the anemia gets corrected with appropriate medications.

So, all your symptoms might be the result of different pathologies arising from different systems for which a detailed clinical examination is necessary along with appropriate investigations to establish the correct diagnosis.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further