Have lump under tongue, suggested for biopsy. Have family history of cancer. Suggest?

General Surgeon
I have found a lump about the size of bean under my tongue, I went to doctor and they want to do a biopsy, I have a family history of cancer so is this the best idea?
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

First of all you need to know that family history of a cancer does not indicate that you are prone to a cancer. Some cancers can be caused by genetic mutations which run in the family. However most of the cancers are sporadic, caused by age, environment, smoking, lifestyle, etc.

Biopsy of the lump under your tongue is a very good idea. This will definitely tell if it is something you need to worry about or not. Biopsy is a very good, non invasive diagnostic method. So you should trust to your doctor and follow his advice.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.