Have lump on right side of ribcage. Soft and moves when touched. Should I be concerned?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a lump on the right side of my rib cage. It's been there for a long time, over a year, and a friend of mine who is a nurse practitioner said it was something (can't remember what she called it) and she wasn't worried about it. Now, a year later, it's still there. It's soft and moves when touched. My ribs are now achey. Is this something to be concerned about?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
This is probably some subcutaneous lesion such as lipoma or fibroma and you dont have to be concerned.
If this was malignant it would grow significantly in 1 year and it would be painful and inflammated already.
If this is moveable as you said that this wont be some rib bone or hondral tumor because these are firm and fixed.
So you can do ultrasound and needle biopsy if you wont to confirm what i ve said or you can remove it surgically under local anasthesia. Of course nothing serious can happen if you dont do anything,but If pain in ribs persist or progress you should do chest xray to verify is there any rib pathology,but as I said this is not likely to be something serious.
Wish you good health.
Feel free to ask. Regards