Have lump on rib cage below the pectoral muscle and near the sternum. Any advice?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a lump on my rib cage right below the pectoral muscle and near the sternum but there is no bruising
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 38 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
If it is soft, tender, and mobile and you dont notice discoloration then this is just subcutaneous benign lesion.
Most common in this area are benign skin cyst, -a ball of muscle spasm-in the pectoralis muscle, or a lipoma-a benign fat tumor.
YOu can do ultrasound with needle aspiration to verify the exact diagnosis. Also it can always be surgically removed. I suggest to remove it if it shows rapid growing or become inflammated.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help