Have lump on palm of hand. What could be the cause?

I have what looks like an I growing lump on the palm of my hand, what could it be? It's been there for about 2years give or take. At first it was painful and sore sometimes but now there's no pain at all just the embarrassment of having to on my palm. There's a smaller one on my right hand too !!! Please help i am getting very worried in deed!!!

Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 4 hours later

Thanks for posting this query.

I am pleased to be able to assist you with your health query.

Even though you posted an image here, it will be difficult to tell specifically what condition you are having without examining personally. However looking at the lesion, I think this is related to dupuytren's contracture/diseases (a painless thickening and contracture of tissue beneath the skin on the palm of the hand and fingers) - the most common condition related to lump on the palm of the hand.

The cause is not known but a family history of it may predispose to that. Risk factors are alcohol, smoking, diabetes etc. Occupation or trauma does not cause it (seemingly). Exercises, warm water baths, or splints may be helpful as non-medical treatment. Surgery may be performed to release the contracture, depending on the severity of the condition. Normal movement of the fingers is usually restored by surgery followed by physical therapy exercises for the hand.

Other possible causes of the lump are maybe a benign mass such as cyst, adenofibroma and very rarely a melanoma.

A close and detailed examination of the lesion by a qualified dermatologist will be needed to isolate the cause.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Achuo