Have lump on lower abdomen. Burst with puss and blood. Guide

I have a large bump on my lower ab that just burst with blood and puss.
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 59 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It sounds like you have an abscess which is a collection of pus. Any infected area would also be filled with blood.

An abscess can form in any aspect of the body from the inoculation of blood under the skin.
The definitive treatment of an abscess is incision and drainage because even though it has burst there are normally some focus of bacteria still present that can result in a recurrence of the abscess.

The doctor would normally break down any bacteria walls still present in the area.

You may also need antibiotic therapy.

If you are unable get to your doctor presently, you can clean around the area with an antiseptic such as dilute betadine or dilute hydrogen peroxide. It would need to be cleaned out with the antiseptics.
Do this at least once daily
Apply a sterile dressing because continued drainage will likely occur.
Obtain an over the counter antibiotic cream.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions