Have lump on labia majora. Taking antibiotic. Could it be an ingrown hair, STD or cancer?

I have a golfball size lump on my labia majora by my thigh. It is hard but not really red. There is no drainage. I tried to squeeze it and that didn't do anything. It does hurt at times. I have had it for 2-3 weeks and it has been getting progressively worse. During the 2-3 weeks I have been on various antibiotics (penicillin, amoxicillin, and Bactrim) for unrelated issues, and the mass still grew. I have noticed that the hair on the bump is all falling out. I don't have a fever. I'm afraid i might have an std because i was getting lumps (1-2) a month since XXXXXXX but i changed my soap and it stopped happening until now. the bump started like they normally do but this one keeps growing. Could it be an ingrown hair? an STD? cancer? i don't know
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 36 minutes later
Thanks for consulting us.
The most likely diagnosis which comes to my mind after going through your history is that it is a Bartholin's cyst or a Bartholin's abcess. This is a swelling arising from a small gland in your labia majora due to infection or blockage of it's duct. However nothing can be said for sure until & unless you see a Gynecologist in person & get yourself evaluated. Diagnosis is usually clinical but your doctor may like to take some "swab tests" to rule out the possibility of an STD.
Treatment includes a small surgical procedure to open up & drain the contents of the swelling, which is usually done as a "Day case procedure".
However if you have other lumps along with this XXXXXXX bigger one" then other possibilities like you have rightly mentioned STDs or God forbid cancer must be ruled out. Considering your medical history it could be anything related to your other systemic diseases. Again a doctors visit is crucial to find out the exact diagnosis.
I have given you a brief guideline please write back if you have any questions.
Wish you good health & a nice day.
Best regards.
Follow-up: Have lump on labia majora. Taking antibiotic. Could it be an ingrown hair, STD or cancer? 11 minutes later
I did have a pap smear done a day before the mass started and the STDs that it tested for were negative. So, would that rule out an STD as an option or could an STD still be the reason?
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 21 minutes later
Thanks for your question.
This is really good to know that you had a pap smear recently. It's report will guide us about the health status of your "cervix", the outlet of your womb. It is not a screening test for STDs.
It is very reassuring that your STD screen is negative (if you had it in addition to the pap smear) . Usually doctors screen for those diseases which are common in that particular area.
You may acquire a new infection after screening or it could be a disese that was not originally screened. So, it is difficult to say that it cannot be a STD. A fresh evaluation is strongly recommended.
Hope this clears your doubts. Please contact back if there is any confusion.
Warm regards.
Follow-up: Have lump on labia majora. Taking antibiotic. Could it be an ingrown hair, STD or cancer? 15 minutes later
My mass is like between the labia majora and the thigh like 3cm away from the crease of the thigh. The picture of a batholins cyst seemed to be inside the labia next to the vaginal opening. Because of the placement of my mass does that rule out a bartholins cyst? Could it be an ingrown hair? The PAP tested for gohnorrhea and chlamydia are thos ones that would cause the mass to form?
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 40 hours later
Thanks for your question.
The position you are describing is less likely for a Bartholin's cyst but nothing can be confirmed or ruled out without a clinical examination.
It could be anything but an ingrown hair is unlikely to produce a swelling which is that big.
Let me stress it again that pap test is not a screening test for Gonorrhea & Chlamydia. It just tests cells obtained from the surface of your cervix.
Gonorrhea & Chlamydia are two common causes of inflammatory swellings of vulva. There can be many others which may cause such swellings.
I would like to stress it again that you should plan a Gynecologist visit as otherwise you will not be able to reach a final diagnosis & of course treatment.
Wish you best of luck.