Have lump on calf, sore to touch and turning black and blue. Cause?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a lump on my right calf near the large bone that's sore to the touch that's starting to turn black and blue, there has been no trauma to this leg
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some more information

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Before I answer your query, I need some more information regarding your ailment. Please answer these questions in an elaborate way so that i can arrive at a possible diagnosis -
* Duration of the lump -days,months,years etc
* Exact location of the lump (eg-upper half of calf, inner aspect)
* Size of the lump
* Is is slow growing or fast growing
* Is it soft or hard in consistency
* Is the swelling mobile or fixed to underlying structures (can you move the swelling in an upward/ downward direction or side to side movement)
* Is the swelling tender to touch
* Any presence of local warmth over the swelling
* Are you experiencing fever
* Any other comorbidities like Hypertension, Diabetes
* Any usage of drugs -Please list the names of medicines that are being taken
* Any visible veins over the swelling
* Any more swellings (like this one) elsewhere in the body

I will be thankful to you, if you can send me the clinical photographs of the area of the lump.

Follow-up: Have lump on calf, sore to touch and turning black and blue. Cause? 31 hours later
I answered follow up - am I going to get an answer?
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can expect a nearest possible diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

The answers provided to the questions by you will make me think and arrive at a closest possible diagnosis. Because its practically not possible to pin point the diagnosis of a lump or swelling without direct clinical examination and laboratory investigations.

Based on the information you have provided in the query - "a lump on my right calf near the large bone that's sore to the touch that's starting to turn black and blue" without any history of injury could be
* bony swelling if its hard in consistency or a soft tissue swelling if its not hard
* as its sore to touch, it could be an inflammatory swelling
* as it is turning black and blue , it could be a soft tissue Hemangioma

So, a detailed direct clinical examination along with appropriate investigations like FNAC, Open biospy and MRI scan may be needed to establish a correct diagnosis.

Hope I have provided you a reasonable explanation for your query.

Happy to help for any further clarification.

Good day