Have lump on arm, feeling stiffness in joints. Blood test done. How severe is the disease?

I have a lump on the inside of my left arm, just above the crease. I am very worried. I have had a couple of weeks of stiffness in most joints. I'm waiting for blood results, and figure this is one more symptom of RA. Gulp. Are lumps any indicator of how severe the disease is or how quickly it is progressing?
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 17 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Ther can be many reasons for such a lump which you have mentioned.
In Rheumatoid Arthritis, swelling around the elbo joint are common and are due to enlargement of normal fluid filled filled sacs around the joints called as bursa.

Your location of the lump if not the typical location. Even rheumatoid nodules which occur in Rheumtoid arthritis are usually seen on the extensor surface, behind elbow.

Nodules are not related either severity or progrssion of the disease.
The most important indicators of progression of disease in Rheumatoid arthiritis is th erosion of the bones seen on x rays of joints.

I still feel it is not related to Rheumatoid disease. Stiff of joints can occur after nonspecific viral infections. Therfore, be reassured.

Do get back one you have your results in hand.
Also if you have any further concerns.

Dr Kiran